Urinalysis – A Diagnostic Test
A urinalysis is a test of a urine sample. It is possible to assess many different aspects of your health. We use it regularly in Functional Medicine and while monitoring detox and dieting with SHAPE Reclaimed.
Urine Tests, Detox, and Dieting
Urinalysis is one of the simplest diagnostic tools we can use when assessing your progress on your SHAPE journey. It can give us so much information. Patients active in phase I of SHAPE Reclaimed are taking the SHAPE drops and need to be monitored closely. The urinalysis the how we monitor your progress. It can help us make some important clinical decisions to help you on your journey. There are 10 different markers are being monitored, with 4 of them being used to spot starvation.
Spotting Starvation in a Urinalysis
- Urobilinogen: a positive reading can indicate liver/gallbladder burden. It is rarely seen in SHAPE patients, but we need to make some changes if it is present in the urine.
- Bilirubin: a yellow bile pigment that normally circulates in the blood attached to protein. Indicates liver/gallbladder dysfunction. Can be easily remedied.
- Protein: can indicate a few different things; over-exercising, a lack of acid/enzymes in the gut, imbalance in pH, diabetes, excess protein intake.
- Ketosis: depending on body composition and body chemistry, some patients produce ketones in the urine. This is an indication the body is burning fat vs. burning sugar. A small to moderate of ketones is acceptable. Large amounts of ketones can send a starvation signal to the brain….which is not ideal, of course. If the urinalysis indicates no ketosis and you continue to lose fat and weight, not to worry, all is well.
Measuring pH in your urinalysis. pH is a measure of the relative acidity or alkalinity of a solution. Typically, patients on SHAPE tend toward being acidic. Food/beverages play a major role in the body’s acid-base balance, but STRESS is also a major factor. Stress, by itself, can push the body into acidity. A few things can happen when this is so, namely:
- Minerals are shifted from their normal function and utilized to neutralize the acid. Minerals are natural pain killers, muscle relaxers, and tranquilizers. You will experience more pain, more muscle problems and be less tranquil. Sleep is oftentimes affected.
- Edema is increased. The body, in its infinite wisdom, will say, ‘I can’t have this much acid, and I can’t get rid of it, therefore, I will simply dilute it’. The body basically increases the size of the ‘container’. Thus, the ability to lose weight is compromised. The result becomes edema. After taking a walk, you will find it difficult to make a fist, find it hard to remove your rings and the impression from your socks is left in your ankle when you remove your socks.
If your urine pH is under 6.0, I will likely recommend some trace minerals, in the form of drops you can simply add to your water.
Dr. Beth is a functional medicine doctor, contact her or schedule an appointment online.