I am really excited to be integrating more of a functional medicine approach in my practice. Most physicians use lab tests to test for disease. Functional lab testing is used to identify trends toward disease that can be stopped, slowed or reversed.
Functional Medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. (def. from IFM)
Benefits: (taken from Mind, Body, Green)
1) Functional Medicine views us all as being different; genetically and biochemically unique. This personalized health care treats the individual, not the disease. It supports the normal healing mechanisms of the body, naturally, rather than attacking disease directly.
2) Functional Medicine is deeply science based. The latest research shows us that what happens within us is connected in a complicated network or web of relationships. Understanding those relationships allows us to see deep into the functioning of the body.
3) Your body is intelligent and has the capacity for self-regulation, which expresses itself through a dynamic balance of all your body systems.
4) Your body has the ability to heal
and prevent nearly all the diseases of aging.
5) Health is not just the absence of disease, but a state of immense vitality.